Sunday, May 12, 2019

It’s cliché, but I liked it anyway



Just for the record, I’m really into romantic types of movies and dramas. And lately, I’m soooo into romantic movies, but more to the teenage-high school/college version. There’re several movies that just get me, like, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, The First Time, Keith, Restless, Letters to Juliet, Me Before You, 10 Things I Hate about You, She’s the Man, Just Like Heaven, The Duff, Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, and the list would be endless so I’ll stop here. And most recently, like, few minutes ago, I just finished watching The Perfect Date.
So, what are the similarities between these movies?
First of all, obviously, there’re cliché with typical romantic comedy plots and happy endings. But somehow, I liked that. Maybe because I’ve never experienced it before so secretly, I wanted to fall in love and being loved. Okay this is making me cringe. Moving on.
The main part that I like about these movies is how the relationship is built. They didn’t start with romantic interests, but by being friends at first. When you’re just being good friends, you can just be yourself without having to be afraid of the other person’s expectations on you. When you like someone, you naturally wanted to be close to him/her, get to know them, and unconsciously trying to impress them. But when you’re just friends, you won’t be trying hard to impress the other person.
The difference between being friends because you like that person and liking that person after being friends is that – the expectations vs reality. You might like someone because he’s handsome, or because he’s smart, or because he’s polite; but you’ll have expectations on him, and the reality might be different. But if you like him after knowing him, then you’re liking him for the person he is, without expecting who he should be; you're seeing the reality first.
Like when we first met, I didn’t fall for you that instantly you know. It’s just that we started talking to each other and I got really comfortable. I guess that’s when I started falling for you, because I’m comfortable around you, I can be myself around you without the fear of being judged. I can tell you about myself, and sometimes I even told you things that I’ve never really told anyone before. But after realizing that I have this weird feelings for you, I started being cautious of not saying too much that might make you hate me. But weirdly, every time we talked and when I got comfortable, I just started being myself again when I’m around you. I like listening to your stories, I like arguing with you, I like it when you listened to my stories, I like when you’re just clowning around, I just simply like you for whatever you are. And right now, I really like being your friend. So I’m gonna keep it that way. I’m gonna show you all of myself, even if it’s bad, because I believed you've already shown me a lot of yourself.