Saturday, April 27, 2019

Be Grateful for every Little Things



When I was young, there are times when I just wanted to run away from home, when I wanted to cut myself, when I wanted to just break everything. But I couldn’t really remember why I had such thought. There are times when I thought I would be a better parent than my parents were and would definitely not raise my child the way they did.
But as I get older, and after knowing so many people, looking at the difference in our life, I started to be grateful. Honestly, there are so many things that I like about how my parents raised me, raised us up. Though my father has always had a huge expectation on me, because I used to be so smart and bright, he still allowed me to choose what I wanted to be and doesn’t force me to be what he wanted me to be. He still gave me choices and led me in making decision, which I’m very thankful for. I saw people here, even when they’re already a parent, they used harsh words when talking to their colleagues. My parents had always used nice words, even when they’re angry, they’ve never cursed. So we grew up in such as beautiful harmonious environment. My parents are quite well off, so we never really had serious money issues, so I always get what I wanted. I wonder why I wasn’t grateful before. I’m blessed with so many things. When we were young, if any of us got good exam results, my father would give us money as rewards. As I was very good at studying and always got good results, I was pretty rich back then. And I love it so much, because it kindda boost my spirit to study. That’s my father’s way of encouraging us. But now I wonder how my brother felt back then, since he’s not so good at studying. Did he felt discouraged? While I was so motivated and enjoying my study, did my brother felt burdened? But another thing that I like about my father is that he never really compared us in terms of our study. Even my brother was a bit lacking, he doesn’t get scolded, because my father knew we are different. So my father respected his way of study, and his choices. I’m so blessed that I was clever, I could understand things fast, learnt fast, memorized easily, and I was very good in studying. So back then, I actually love studying, because I was good at it. When doing my degree, I wasn’t so good anymore, idk what went wrong, maybe it gets harder, maybe I got dumber, but things just didn’t work out anymore. So I became slightly discouraged. But even my results wasn’t so good, my father saw my effort. So he was okay with it, which I’m so grateful.
As a family, are we closed to each other? I was always jealous of my friends who got to tell their mom everything. I always wanted to talk to my mom about my days, my friends, my life. I used to tell everything when I was in boarding school but since I started living with my parents after quitting boarding school, we didn’t talk that much anymore. So I decided to move here, so that I could miss my mom, so that I could appreciate her more, so that we would fought less. The last time I went home, my mom was so happy and even cooked my favorite dishes. It felt really nice. So I’m trying to be a better daughter, but it seems so hard. But being a parent is harder, right?
So I was watching this drama, Sky Castle, where it tells about parenthood, and how each parents raised their child. Parents always wanted the best for their child, for them, their children’s success is their success. But the child would felt pressured and burdened by the expectation. Some parents would force their children to do what they didn’t manage to, even that’s not what their child wants. While from the point of view of the child, we really wanted to make our parents proud of us, but at the same time, we needed their attention on how we’re feeling as well. That studying is hard, living is hard, don’t put too much expectation on us, because that is harder.
I guess, back then, what I really wanted was my parents’ attention. But right now, I just wanted to be better.

- SKY CASTLE EP 6 -